So what stops us from competing?
Many people I speak to believe we cannot Manufacture Electronics Products in Australia and make a profit. Belief is a powerful thing. Enabling beliefs enable, and limiting beliefs limit. We have been privileged to take part in some projects that break through this limiting belief barrier. So I wanted to share with you not only why it is possible, but why it can be the norm.
Firstly, it is about mindset. Dr Marc Dussault refers to this as the Exponential mindset and the resulting thinking as “Antimimeticisomorphism“. I’ll let him explain it since he does it much better than I do. Please visit his sites. I’ve learnt a lot of very important lessons from Marc.
So thinking differently will get different results. Albert Einstein famously said “We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” So one type of thinking got us into this mess, and a different type of thinking is the way out of it.
Electronics Manufacturing in Australia – Some things to think about
We have some distinct advantages when it comes to manufacture. Here is a short list:
- We have the most cost effective technical workforce in the OECD – ie. our engineers, technicians, scientists and developers are underpaid at present compared to the rest of the world.
- We are in a moderate cost of living economy (look at the Germany, UK, USA or Japan)
- We have a ‘make it work’ approach that can get the job done
- We seemed naturally predisposed to try things a different way to the norm – this is a very good thing
- Niche and technically advanced products are ideal choices for our local manufacturers
- We are well placed to export to Asia!
So the next question is “How do we take advantage of this to become more competitive“?
My next post will reveal the top 5 contributors to maximising profits and the real total cost of ownership of a manufactured product.
See you then.
Ray Keefe has been developing high quality and market leading electronics products in Australia for nearly 30 years. For more information go to his LinkedIn profile. This post is Copyright © Successful Endeavours Pty Ltd.